Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I know I have not been here.

I know I have not been here in a while. We have been so busy that I have not gotten near the things done that I should. I would like to start posting more often but quite frankly when I get to running so much I don't even think of blogging.

I have some ideas of things to post just to have on record. I am trying different things in the garden that I have never planted before. We are also looking at getting 2 pigs to raise to slaughter. That is a 4-H project. We are very involved in 4-H now. There are many things that we may be trying just to see what works best with us. You all know we have the chickens. We want to get more and even do some breeding. We have really enjoyed having chickens. They are very interesting birds and do have personalities.

I am going to be trying some raised beds with different plants in them. We have got to make an onion bed because we have Egyptian Walking onions. They reproduce themselves so they need more room than what I have given them. I am also looking at doing a carrot bed. The ground is just not soft enough to raise carrots in. I am trying turnips in one of the garden spots, I am not sure how well they will do. The ground in hard and I am not sure we got it worked up deep enough for the turnips. If not we will probably still have greens.

I will have to put some pictures up of all the things we have canned. We have a freezer full of things too. I will try to start writing on all these things. I am very excited about growing our own food and preserving it.

Hope to write soon and put up some pics.

No comments: