Friday, January 23, 2009

Another Day in the Life

Things have definitely been busy around here. Having the grand kids really keeps us hopping. Dealing with Ross on school work and karate has been a nightmare. So, we have made some changes.
Ross now has to earn computer and game time. We are using a ticket system. He earns tickets from chores, doing school work in a timely manner and doing his karate workout/fitness. We started this last week and so far this is working better than anything else we have ever tried. With that said, he tested for his 5th stripe yesterday and we were all surprised how well he did. Mr.Reynolds said he didn't expect him to do as well as he did. Obviously working out at home every day is working. He didn't pass but was told that if he continued he would probably get his stripe in March and should get his black belt in June. He has to work hard though. He has been lazy for about 2 years now. We all have actually. Things are a changin'.

The grand kids are active little bundles who need something to do at all times. Working with them is taking some getting use to and I haven't gotten it all figured out yet but I will.

Our grocery bill is going through the roof. We are buying milk every other day and 4 to 5 loaves of bread a week. So, I have started baking bread every day. Isaiah is ok with it but Katie is not liking it very well. They will get use to it. They are just now getting to the point that they aren't hollering for Micky D's every time we leave the house. They are starting to eat foods they did not eat in the past. I will get them healthy yet.

As a whole we are working on getting healthier and changing our eating habits. Johnny got 3 months free at St. Mary's Fitness, next month we will be adding the fitness room at karate to our yearly karate. That gives Johnny and I a place to work out for cheap. It also includes a kick boxing class. NO I AM NOT DOING THAT. I would fall over dead the first class. I have to lose some weight first. This is not a new year resolution. Those just don't work. Three of us need to lose weight and the little ones need to eat healthier they are junk food junkies. I won't make them eat what they do not like but am making them try new things. Adding vegs to recipes that they will eat is a great way to get them to eat more. We are also trying to eat foods that aren't loaded with preservatives and additives. My aunt sent me an email about MSG being in almost all the foods that we buy. It is also addictive and causes obesity. That is very scary to me. We are doing a lot of cooking from scratch here. I am using up some boxed things that I had bought with coupons and I will still keep a few things like that here just for convenience.
I am working on the gardening. I have radish, lettuce, spinach and sweet basil already coming up. The eggplant and parsley are planted but not sprouting yet. The lettuce, spinach and radish are tests to see if I can grow them indoors. I will let you kno wthe results. Today is going to be a good day to get out and get some beds ready to plant in. I am heading out after lunch to get going on that. I have much more I want to share on this topic so I will try to get some pics and write another post today or tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a glorious and blessed day.

No comments: