Friday, January 23, 2009

Indoor Garden

This is my indoor garden.

Sweet Basil


Spinach


Lettuce




Radish
I am really excited to see how this works. I will transplant some of this when it gets a little bigger. I want to see how much I can grow indoors. I like the idea of having fresh lettuce and spinach all winter. I might have to try some other things just for the heck of it. If I can grow most all of what we will eat then that is going to be a huge money saver. I just need to get some spots to work with in the winter. I have been reading about row covers. You can also set things up to fit over one pot.
I am trying to figure out how to set my gardens up this year. I am going to be doing a lot of container gardening. I am looking at selling some produce at the farmers market this year. I will also be doing a lot more canning. It will be a lot of hard work but I am excited and can't wait to get started. I am ready for warmer weather so I can get stuff in the ground. I am going to try to grow cauliflower and broccili this year. I have tried cauliflower in the past and not had much luck. I have been reading up on what to do with it.
I am trying more herbs this year also. I have been reading natural bug control. Growing different plants together can keep bugs away. You also need to encourage good bugs. So, with all that rambling I am trying to figure out what to plant with what. Putting potted mints, basil and marigolds through out your garden is good. I didn't have much luck growing marigold from seed last year. I will probably just buy some plants. We need sunflowers again too. We have to be careful wtih them because parts of the sunflower are poisonous to chickens.
The chickens are fertilizing my garden spots for me.
My compost is another story. The pile is slow to work but the tires make great compost fast. Soooo I will have piles of tires composting for me this year. I know what a site. Oh well I am not trying to win yard of the year just feed my family.
I am also going to try to grow potatos in tires too. I have read they are great for potato growing. I have some potato seed to get out. I think now or soon is when I need to get started on that.
I think I have babbled enough. Those of you that know me know that when I get excited about something I do tend to babble.
I will try post soon on what God is doing in us also. More to come on gardening and chickens. I know you can't wait. lol



No comments: