Thursday, January 24, 2008

Homeschooling

We have been having real trouble homeschooling. Last year was so hard. We only did what needed to be done to get by. Ross did get behind. We have been trying to catch up and it has been a battle. I put my foot down this week and made some big changes. So far the last few days have been great. The hassle and stress has not been here. I think part of that is do to Ross knowing that we are serious about this and he has no choice.

These are the changes we made. The laws here says you need to school 4 hours a day. So we have set our schedule up this way.

Ross gets up and has breakfast.
We have not come up with a regualr time for getting up yet. This is something that I have started struggling with so mom has to work on this.

He starts his school work.
I have started having it all prepared and together. It is all written in a lesson plan book that he can mark off as he does it. He knows what he has to get done. We set a time that he has to be done.
We break for lunch. He is usually done between 3 and 4 o'clock.

I have never had it this structured so that is my fault. He is doing much better in just a few days. He is suppose to take an art class on Tuesdays but if I have to fight him to get the required work done then he does not get to do art.
We are pushing to get some serious catching up done and he is working harder now. So my goal is to have him at his grade level by fall. We will test in the spring of next year. I hope to have him ahead by then. I will keep posting how this is working.

No comments: